Treating skin from the inside out. There is more to healthy skin then skin! When treating our clients skin concerns we look beyond the surface to find out what else may be contributing to the dysfunction and preventing the skin from functioning normally.
THE GUT BRAIN CONNECTION
They say our gut is our second brain, when our gut is off it can have significant impacts on our overall health and wellbeing.
When our body is poorly digesting food and nutrients it can show on our skin, in the form of breakouts, dull and greyish complexion, rashes, eczema and more. If your skin is irritated, inflamed or congested, chances are high that there may be an imbalance in your gut. An imbalance means that there are too many bad bacterial cells or not enough good bacterial cells, basically if you have a gut problem you will have a skin problem. In some ways, your gut and your skin play similar roles. Both defend your body against pathogens, and both are covered in beneficial bacteria when in a healthy state.
THE IMPACTS OF STRESS
We are all familiar with excess stress these last 2 years! Stress can cause an array of symptoms, some not so obvious. It’s important we recognise these symptoms and create ways to cope in times of high stress.
In the same way our gut has a constant dialogue with our brain, it’s also in constant conversation with our skin. This gut-skin axis means that in the same way stress can damage our gut, it can also damage our skin. Gut inflammation due to stress can therefore contribute to skin inflammation as cortisol breaks down collagen, the protein essential for firm, strong, plump (and youthful-looking!) skin. It also impedes collagen production a double whammy for your complexion.
Inflammation caused by stress can also contribute to more sensitive skin and a myriad of skin conditions as our immune system is suppressed. Acne, psoriasis, rosacea and eczema are all inflammatory skin conditions that can be triggered by stress in some people so if your skin is feeling red, rashy or angry, it’s worth investigating any underlying sources of stress in your life and discovering stress management tools to help you cope.
RELAX is designed to help you remain focused and calm, reducing the symptoms of stress in the day, and assisting with a better nights sleep. RELAX contains all natural ingredients used to help relieve the symptoms associated with mild anxiety and feelings of weakness in healthy individuals. Based on traditional herbal Chinese medicine, RELAX supports physical and mental functioning, whilst aiding in the maintenance of a healthy digestive system. Relax is formulated to support the bodies stress response whilst maintaining endurance and stamina in healthy individuals. Designed to relieve mild anxiety and sleep disturbances, get a better nights sleep the natural way.
FOOD FOR YOUR SKIN
FOODS TO AVOID- WHAT FOODS ARE BAD FOR YOUR SKIN?
It’s important to note that what you don’t eat can also have an impact, so avoiding foods that can potentially compromise your gut health such as sugar, gluten, alcohol, caffeine, processed foods and refined carbs is also essential in the quest for glowing skin as over time, these foods can irritate, inflame or upset your digestive system and even contribute to leaky gut. The result? Inflammation which can cause a whole host of health issues and contribute to inflammatory skin conditions including dry skin, eczema, psoriasis, acne and breakouts, too.
To help you get glowing skin, we’ve collated a list of our favourite healthy foods and key beauty nutrients which will help you to glow from the inside out…
FOODS FOR GLOWING SKIN
- Fermented foods: Rich in probiotic bacteria, fermented foods are a great way to feed the gut with beneficial microbes. Sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, miso and tempeh are all delicious examples of fermented foods. Fermented foods also aid digestion, help to combat inflammation and restore immune function.
- Fibre: Found in fruits and vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds, fibre helps to feed the beneficial microbes in the gut.
- Vitamin C: Essential for collagen synthesis, wound healing and healthy skin, vitamin C is one of the most important skin-loving nutrients and can protect skin cells from free radical damage,UV rays and sunburn or sun damage. Found in fruits and vegetables including lemons, berries, tomatoes, capsicums and bell peppers, oranges, kiwi fruit, papaya and grapefruit, vitamin C can also be found in dark leafy greens, coriander and parsley. Kickstarting your day with a glass of warm water and lemon juice will not only give you a burst of vitamin C, but will also help flush toxins from your body and support liver health. As a bonus, if your liver is working well, your skin is also likely to stay clear and luminous!
- Antioxidant-Rich Plants: Not only are plant foods a good source of dietary fibre, but they also contain a plethora of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which combat the free radical damage associated with premature skin ageing. Some of our favourites include: Beetroots, blueberries and other purple coloured foods which are rich in powerful antioxidants which help protect against fine lines and wrinkles. Papayas, sweet potatoes and other yellow fruits and vegetable convert to vitamin A in the body, crucial to skin repair and improving skin tone. Papayas are also gut-friendly because they contain an enzyme called papain which assists digestion. Cabbages are high in fibre and contain a potent detoxifier as well as collagen-boosting vitamin C. Cucumber assists with skin hydration and helps to combat dryness, is anti-inflammatory, and contains vitamins B and C, zinc, folic acid, iron, potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
HEALTHY FATS AND SKIN
Vital for well-hydrated skin and helping to keep inflammation at bay, essential fatty acids are well, essential, for healthy, glowing skin.
Olive oil, avocados, which contain an abundance of monounsaturated fats and fibre, as well as vitamin E, C, K and B6.
Coconut oil, ghee and grass-fed butter contain fat soluble vitamins A, E and K2 as well as anti-inflammatory short-chain fatty acids, butyrate, which protects intestinal integrity. They are also a good source of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) which supports a healthy metabolism and may have anti-cancer properties.
Chia seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds, fish oils and oily fish such as sardines and mackerel are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids which are known to support heart health, brain health, inflammatory conditions such as arthritis and skin health. Fermented cod liver oil is especially good because it is high in skin-loving vitamins A and D, plus it is rich in the essential fatty acids DHA and EPA.
PRODUCTS TO ASSIST GOOD GUT/SKIN FUNCTION
REGUL8 DIGESTIVE TUNE UP
The Regul8® Digestive Tune-Up is a herbal-based three-step process that cleanses, soothes, and repairs the gastrointestinal system – removing unwanted organisms – soothing irritation, and aiding sustainable gut health – rebalancing the good bacterial cultures and providing them with the appropriate environment to flourish. Cleanse doesn’t affect the good bacteria in the gut, only the bad stuff, and while we are cleansing, Restore is repairing and creating the right environment for the good bacteria to be able to thrive in. We need to be re-populating the good bacteria with the Maintain at the same time with the good bacteria, so it becomes like your army in the digestive system that prevents the bad bacteria getting back in and overgrowing in the gut. So, the Digestive Tune-Up is a systematic approach. Restoring and rebalancing, nurturing the digestive system and replacing the good bacteria while bringing the microbiota back into perfect balance. You need healthy flora in your gut for a healthy digestive system and Regul8 provides the beneficial microflora in the gut a stable environment in which to grow and flourish, helping to regain and maintain optimal health.
THE BEAUTY CHEF CLEANSE
A bio-fermented super-greens powder to help the body realign and support your natural cleansing processes. With fibre from banana starch and Jerusalem artichoke, choline to aid liver function and fat metabolism, plus enzymes, prebiotics and probiotics for a healthy belly.
THE BEAUTY CHEF GUT PRIMER
A restorative gut health powder supplement to support digestive health. With slippery elm and milk thistle, traditionally used in Western herbal medicine for leaky gut treatment and to soothe and repair the gut lining. GUT PRIMER is a gut repair powder designed to restore your gut health in preparation for our inner beauty products.
THE BEAUTY CHEF GLOW
A daily beauty powder for radiant skin and gut health. With 18 Certified Organic wholefoods including bio-fermented maqui berries, queen garnet plum and pomegranate fruit peel extract, vitamin C to help boost collagen production and zinc to support healthy hair and nails. Plus provitamin A, broad-spectrum B vitamins and probiotics and postbiotics thanks to our potent fermentation process, this berry-flavoured beauty blend promotes luminous skin—from the inside out.
THE BEAUTY CHEF CLARIFY
Designed for people prone to skin congestion and breakouts, this clarifying formula contains nutrients that synergistically support a clearer, healthier and smoother complexion. Including herbal ingredients broccoli sprout, burdock, dandelion and echinacea, this delicious bio-fermented blend also contains probiotics and digestive enzymes for gut health. With provitamin A to support cellular turnover, vitamin B5 to support hormonal metabolism and zinc which assists in wound healing–for resilient, clear and healthy skin.
GUT LOVING RECIPES WITH THE BEAUTY CHEF
GLOW GRANOLA BARS
Wholesome, nutty and seriously satisfying, these moreish granola bars are the perfect beauty-boosting snack…
Quite unlike anything you’d find on the supermarket shelves, these nutrient-rich granola bars are a veritable skin food. The addition of GLOW Inner Beauty Essential, our bio-fermented beauty supplement, provides a delicious dose of skin-protective antioxidants, while the complex blend of nuts and seeds is a great source of fibre to support a healthy microbiome and provides a satisfying dose of healthy fats.
180g almond butter
150ml coconut oil
1½ tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp GLOW Inner Beauty Essential
1 cup (12g) puffed buckwheat
¾ cup (55 g) shredded coconut
1/3 cup (55 g) dried blueberries (free from sulphur, preservatives and added sugar)
1/3 cup (35 g) dried goji berries
1 tbsp ground linseeds, 1½ cups mixed nuts, such as: Pecans, coarsely chopped, Brazil nuts, coarsely chopped, Almonds, coarsely chopped, Macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped, Pistachios, coarsely chopped. ½ cup mixed seeds, such as: Pumpkin seeds, Sunflower seeds. Hemp seeds
- Lightly grease and line a baking tin (24 x 15 x 3.5cm) with baking paper.
- Melt the almond butter, coconut oil and maple syrup in a small saucepan over low heat. Set aside to cool, but not set.
- Combine the buckwheat, coconut, dried blueberries, goji berries and linseeds in a medium bowl. Add 1½ cups of mixed nuts. Add ½ cup of mixed seeds. Stir to combine.
- Add GLOW powder to the cooled almond butter mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Spoon into the prepared tin. Using the back of a spoon, press and firmly pack the mixture, to make an even layer. Refrigerate for 2 hours, or until set firm.”
- Cut into sixteen bars. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
BLUEBERRY AND CINNAMON SMOOTHIE
With antioxidant-rich blueberries, chia seeds for protein and our very own wholefood skin supplement, GLOW Inner Beauty Essential, this healthy smoothie is packed with nutrients that will feed your skin from the inside out. Serves 2
2 cups of frozen blueberries
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons GLOW Inner Beauty Essential
2 teaspoons chia seeds (ideally soaked overnight, or for at least one hour)
2 cups almond milk
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blitz to combine.
AVOCADO, MINT AND BERRY COLLAGEN SMOOTHIE
Avocado and raspberries are two antioxidant-rich and skin-loving superfoods—but this berry smoothie recipe is made even better by the addition of our DEEP COLLAGEN marine collagen powder and probiotic bio-fermented elixir, COLLAGEN Inner Beauty Boost…
Formulated to help improve your gut health as well as skin elasticity, skin hydration and reduce the appearance of fine lines, our marine collagen powder contains certified sustainable, clean and pure collagen peptides—so you can be confident you’re feeding your skin with the best nourishment possible Gluten-free, dairy-free and containing no added sugars, this blend contains real food ingredients and boasts real health benefits.
1 cup (120g) frozen raspberries, 1 cup (250mL) almond milk, ¼ ripe avocado, flesh scooped out, 4 ice cubes, 1 small handful fresh mint leaves, 1 tablespoon COLLAGEN Inner Beauty Boost, 1 ½ teaspoons DEEP COLLAGEN Inner Beauty Support (Berry), Pinch Himalayan salt.
- Place all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Taste.